Common Codes & Policies Information

Forms/Info Available

Amusement Tax Collection Form

Harvard Senior Center
Community Room Rental Agreement

Comprehensive Land Use Plan

Contractor License Application

Freedom of Information Form General

Freedom of Information/Records Check for Immigration

Garage Sale Permit Application

Home Occupation Permit Application

Hotel/Motel Tax Collection Report

House Check Form

Ice Cream Vehicle License Application

League Field Usage Agreement

Liquor/Tobacco License Application

Liquor/Special Event License Application

Massage Therapist License Application

Music Permit Application

Outdoor Market License Application

Park Shelter Application

Peddlar & Solicitor Application

Planning & Zoning Petition

Police Dept. After Hours Contact Form

Pool Forms

Raffle Permit Application

Residential Rental License Application

Secondhand Sales Drop Off Containers License Application

Special Movement Permit

Taxicab License Application

Vending License Application

Water Billing Authorization Form

Water Billing New Account Set Up Information


All ordinances approved through 03/25/2017 have been codified)

Table of Contents

Chapter 1 - General Provisions
Chapter 2 - City Council
Chapter 3 - City Administration
Chapter 4 - Police Department
Chapter 5 - Boards & Commissions
Chapter 6 - Public Properties
Chapter 7 - Reserved
Chapter 8 - Stormwater Management
                            McHenry Co. Stormwater Management

Chapter 9 - Office of Emergency Management
Chapter 10 - Reserved
Chapter 11 - Nuisances
Chapter 12 - Dogs, Cats & Other Animals
Chapter 13A - Wastewater
Chapter 13B - Potable Water
Chapter 13C - Fees & Charges for Water & Sewer
Chapter 13D - Cross Connection Control Rules
Chapter 13E - Definitions for Chapter 13
Chapter 14 - Signs
Chapter 15 - Traffic
Chapter 16 - Subdivision
Engineering Specifications
Chapter 17 - Zoning
Chapter 18 - Flood Hazard Regulations
Chapter 19 - Building Code
Chapter 20 - City Fees & Charges
Chapter 21 - Business Regulations
Chapter 22 - Peddlers & Solicitors
Chapter 23 - Occupation & Other Taxes
Chapter 24 - Municipal Telecommunications
Infrastructure Maintenance Fee
Chapter 25 - Alcoholic Liquor Dealers
Chapter 26 - Offenses Against Organized

Chapter 27 - Offenses Against Public Peace, Safety and Morals
Appendix A - Definitions

It is unlawful to permit any dog or cat to run at large in the City. Dogs that are not leashed shall be deemed to be running at large. Owners are responsible for the removal of any waste from such animals in public streets, sidewalks, alleys or any other public places. Dogs must be licensed with McHenry County Public Health Department. Dog licenses may be obtained by veterinarians at the time the rabies vaccination is given. The City of Harvard has adopted the State Statute pertaining to Vicious Dogs.

Dogs that are leashed and licensed shall be allowed within City park property provided that the person walking or exercising the dog shall be responsible for any damage done to the landscaping of any park and for the removal of any waste from said animals.

Boil Order

Frequently Asked Questions

Brush Pick-Up
Brush pickup in the City of Harvard is in the months of May, July and October. Pickup begins on the second Monday of these months and will continue until all wards have been picked up.

To be sure your brush is removed, please have all branches by the curb before pickup begins, but no earlier than one week ahead of time. All branches must be a minimum of three feet long, the longer the better. Please stack branches with the cut end to the street. Stumps, bushes, plants, leaves or weeds will not be picked up by the City. The time limit for brush piles is 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the resident is charged $125.00 an hour with a minimum charge of $50.00.

Storm damage brush should be put to the curb for pickup; the City does not pick up brush on private property.

Building Permits
Building permits are required by the City of Harvard to construct new/old decks, sheds, etc. For more information, contact the Building Department at 943-6468.

The open burning of leaves or any other materials or substances is prohibited within the city limits, other than the preparation of food on a temporary or permanent fireplace grill.

Contractor's License
Every tradesman, general contractor or subcontractor engaged in any kind of construction work, remodeling, repair, moving or demolition of buildings or structures or parts, services or equipment thereof, within the City, shall be annually licensed by the City prior to rendering any such service. The license year will run from January 2 through January 1 of the following year. The annual license fee shall be $75.00 and shall not be prorated or transferable. Application forms for the annual license are available from City Hall and will include, but not be limited to, evidence of sufficient liability insurance. A violation of any City ordinance shall be considered grounds for revocation of a license. Click here for the contractor's license application.

Except as provided in Section 26.02-C herein, it is unlawful for any person less than 17 years of age to be present at, in or upon any public assembly, building, place, street or highway at the following times:

  • Between 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. Saturday;
  • Between 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday; and
  • Between 11 p.m. on Sunday to Thursday, inclusive, and 6 a.m. on the following day.
For more information regarding exclusions to the curfew please contact City Hall.

Downtown Parking
Two hour parking unless posted. No parking from 2:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. in the downtown area.

Garage Sale Permit
Garage sale permits may be picked up at City Hall (no charge). A limit of 2 per year. Click here for the garage sale permit application.

The City of Harvard has contracted with a private disposal firm to collect garbage in residential areas inside the city limits. Recycled glass, paper and aluminum are also collected on your regular garbage day. Call MDC for more information (888) 775-3691.

Grass Mowing
Grass and weeds are to be mowed and kept under five inches tall. Clippings are not to be blown into the streets. Cleanup will be required.

Gun Registration
The State of Illinois requires mandatory registration of firearm owners. Applications for a Firearm Owners Identification Card may be picked up at the Police Department or sporting goods store. The Police Department will photograph applicants for a $2.00 charge at which time the applicant is responsible for sending the form along with a $5.00 registration fee to the State of Illinois.

Hunting License
A hunting license is required by state statute and can be obtained at any sporting goods store. Contact the Illinois Department of Conservation for specific regulations and season limitation.


Hydrant Flushing
The Utilities Dept. will flush and test hydrants twice a year. Flushing helps the City clean the water main by removing sediment and rust deposits and allows the City to verify the condition of all the fire hydrants. Hydrant flushing may create rust and brown colored water. The water is safe to drink but will stain clothes washed in it. If you experience rusty water, let your faucet run until clear.

Inoperable Vehicle or Junk Cars
It is unlawful for anyone in the city to keep, store, maintain or otherwise retain, on either public or private property and in public view, any inoperable or unlicensed motor vehicle or partially dismantled vehicle or junk car. Cars will be towed.

Leaf Collection
The City has contracted with a private disposal service for the curbside collection of leaves in the fall in residential areas inside the city limits. Leaves are to be raked to the curb (not in the street). The schedule for leaf pickup varies from year-to-year depending on weather conditions.

Overnight Parking
Parking is prohibited on all City streets between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00 a.m.

Peddlers & Solicitors
It is unlawful for any person to engage in business as a peddler or solicitor in a residential area of the City without first having obtained a license pursuant to City regulations. Contact City Hall.

Raffle Licenses
Any non-profit organization interested in holding a raffle must have City Council approval. Completed applications should be submitted to the Mayor's office. Upon City Council approval, a license will be issued. Click here for the raffle license application.

Snow Removal
A snow emergency shall exist within the City when two or more inches of snow has occurred, or whenever the Public Works Director or his designee declares that a snow emergency exists. The Director or his designee may declare a snow emergency at a time prior to an accumulation of two inches of snow if, in his judgment, the weather conditions are such than an early declaration of a snow emergency would promote the effective implementation of the City's snow removal plan. After a snow emergency comes into existence or is declared, it shall continue until such time as the Public Works Director or his designee declares its termination.

No Parking
When a snow emergency exists, it shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be parked on any public street or parking lot in the City. Any vehicle in violation of this provision will be ticketed and towed away by or at the direction of the City. The owner of the vehicle, as well as the person who caused said vehicle to stop, stand or park, shall be individually liable for all expenses incurred as a result of towing said vehicle away. Your cooperation by parking off of the street during any snowfall, even when less than two inches, will make the task of clearing the streets more efficient and safer.

When clearing your own driveway or parking lot, please do not push or blow snow into the street, across the street, or onto any other property. Pushing snow into the street can leave windrows in the street that result in traffic hazards, add to icing problems, and also cause problems for your neighbor across the street. Each year, the City receives several complaints from property owners about neighbors cleaning a driveway and pushing snow across the street onto their property on the opposite side. Please respect your neighbor and also help to keep our streets safer by avoiding this problem.

Snow Removal Special Requests
The Department of Public Works maintains approximately 40 center line miles of streets and several public parking lots for snow removal. In order for this work to be completed in a timely manner, it is necessary for each truck to follow a specific pre-planned route. It is not possible for the City to accept and complete snow removal on a specific street on a request basis. The Department of Public Works does remain in direct communication with both the Harvard Police Department and Harvard Fire Protection District during snow events. If the assistance of a snow plow is needed to respond to an emergency location, the truck will be dispatched by those emergency departments.

Maintenance of Trees in Right of Way
The DPW is responsible for the maintenance, trimming, and removal of all trees located within the street right of way. To request trimming or removal of a tree within the right of way, please contact the DPW. Trees will only be trimmed if they are deemed to be a hazard.

Residents may be permitted to trim or remove trees within the street right of way subject to approval. Contact the Community Development Dept. at 815 943-6468 to obtain a no-charge permit.

Vehicle Stickers
Vehicle Stickers are not required in the City of Harvard.